Brown butter rice krispies treats with chocolate recipe
These brown butter rice crispy treats with chocolate are an adult version of our childhood favorite. The salt balances the sweetness, and the crunchy and chewy texture is the most delicious. With just 5 ingredients, this easy recipe is ready in 10 minutes and can be decorated any way you like.
The best part about this recipe is that the melty chocolate soaks into the lumpy rice kilspie making every bite so delicious. Salt was sprinkled over the melted marshmallow mix and chocolate layer.
i adapted new york thyme recipe For Caramel Butter Rice Kirspis treats using salted butter in addition to salt. I halved the amount and made it a little smaller square. These are pretty sweet, so I prefer thinner bars. Double this to make a thicker Rice Krispies treat.
I have found these to be the best recipes and recipes I will use from now on.
In South Africa, marshmallows seem to only be available in mixed pink and white bags, but use all white if you can.
You can choose your favorite chocolate topping. I used a combination of 3/4 milk chocolate and 1/4 dark chocolate, but if I use 100% dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) it grows even more.
I wanted to make it as an Easter treat, so I decorated it with small crushed Easter eggs, but you can top it with whatever decorations you like.
You can skip the chocolate layer entirely and just garnish with a sprinkle, but don’t skimp on the salt.
How to make Brown Butter Rice Krispies with Chocolate
- The process of making rice kirspi sweets goes so quickly that all the ingredients are weighed. Line the mold with paper or lightly spray with cooking spray. Rice Krispies treats will not stick to non-stick metal or glass baking dishes.
- First, brown the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. When the milk solids start to speckle and turn brown, you’re ready to add the marshmallows.
- If using small marshmallows, mix them in the melted butter that has been removed from the heat. If using large marshmallows, heat for a minute or so before removing and melting.
- When the marshmallows are all melted and smooth, sprinkle with sea salt flakes and vanilla.
- Add rice krispies and a drizzle of melted marshmallow.
- Decant these immediately into a can (or lined can) and gently work the mixture into a corner. I, like The New York Times, like not to press the mixture too hard. This will compress the treat and make it harder to chew. By loosening the marshmallow mixture a bit, the marshmallows are lighter and generally easier to eat.
- Lightly textured Rice Krispies create a rugged surface for the melted chocolate to soak in. If you want to see two different layers of rice kilpee and chocolate, press down on the rice to compress it further.
- The rice crispy and marshmallow mixture will naturally set quickly, but let it sit for 1-2 hours until properly crisped.
- When cool, spread melted chocolate all over and garnish with chocolate mini eggs or sprinkles.
Why This Recipe Works
With no added sugar added, the marshmallow mixture provides just the right amount of sweetness, and the marshmallow gelatin instantly turns Rice Krispies into a solid bar.
When the mixture cools, it will be firm enough to cut.
Why caramelize the butter first?
Charring or caramelizing the butter gives it a delicious nutty flavor. Caramel butter adds depth of flavor to so many baked goods, so it’s worth trying whenever you can.
brown butter or beurre noisette Very easy to make in French. Use a light-colored pan to clearly see the butter changing color and avoid burning (this happens quickly).
How to decorate Rice Krispies treats:
If you don’t want to use chocolate Easter eggs (if it’s not Easter), here are some ideas on how to decorate them.
- Sprinkles: Adding colorful sprinkles makes your treats festive and fun.
- Chocolate: You can drizzle melted chocolate over the top or coat it all over like I did. Top chocolate with chocolate shavings, crushed flake bars, chopped nuts, or salted pretzels for different flavors and textures. Drizzle it on top of 2 other chocolates (dark & white) to create a textured look.
- Chopped nuts such as pecans and almonds can be mixed into chocolate-covered treats.
- Caramel: Drizzling caramel over sweets can add a delicious, gooey texture.
- Marshmallows: Tiny marshmallows or clumps of marshmallow fluff can be layered or mixed on top for extra stickiness or used as a topping.
How long do these Rice Krispy treats last?
These Rice Crispy Treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week (until then you can eat them).
Should Rice Crispy Treats be refrigerated?
We recommend storing these Rice Krispy treats at room temperature in an airtight container. Refrigeration can cause marshmallows to become too hard or absorb moisture.
Can you freeze rice crispy treats?
We do not recommend freezing Rice Krispy Treats, but if you need to make them ahead of time, try freezing them in airtight containers separated by wax paper. However, it can get quite hard in the freezer, so if possible, eat it raw. To thaw, simply leave overnight at room temperature.
I love making desserts and sweets. I wrote an entire book called Sweet.
Some of my sweet recipes you may like:
Spicy Caramel Popcorn (from my cookbook)
Tofu Salted Pretzels and Chocolate Bark
Fudge with chocolate malt balls
Spicy butter crunch crumbly with roasted nuts
White chocolate & matcha fudge
homemade peanut butter cups
This recipe makes one 20cm x 20cm or 8″ x 8″ tray/rice crispy.
brown butter rice crispy chocolate candy
Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats are a very quick and easy treat to make. Cover with melted chocolate and colorful mini Easter eggs for Easter.
- Preparation time: Five
- Cooking time: Five
- total time: 10 minutes
- yield: 16 squares
- Category: snack
- Method: boiling
- cooking: American
¼ cup /65g salted or unsalted butter
150gms (half of a 12 oz bag) of marshmallows (standard size or mini)
1/tsp vanilla extract (optional)
about.1/2 teaspoon flake sea salt flakes or kosher salt
3 cups/90gms Rice Krispy Cereal
200gms chocolate (milk or dark or a mixture of both) – can be chocolate chips or chocolate bars
Chocolate mini eggs for decoration (optional)
Prepare a 20cm x 20cm / 8 x 8 inch or 9 inch square baking sheet by buttering, spraying with cooking spray, and lining with baking paper or parchment paper.
In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until foamy. Reduce heat and stir constantly with a silicone spatula for another 2-3 minutes, until bubbling stops and small clumps of milk solids begin to turn golden brown. You need to be very careful with this step as you want the milk solids to be a medium dark brown rather than black.
As soon as you turn off the heat, add the marshmallows to the pan to prevent the butter from burning. Stir until all marshmallows are coated in hot browned butter and begin to soften. This takes about 1 minute.
Reduce heat, add salt, and stir until marshmallows are nearly smooth. A few small lumps are acceptable. This will take 1-2 minutes.
After turning off the heat, stir in the vanilla and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold mixture with a large silicone spatula until all cereal is coated.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread the cereal mixture evenly over the pan without stuffing to retain a light and delicate texture.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and spread over the Rice Crispy Treats. Work quickly to coat the surface as it begins to penetrate the surface immediately.Sprinkle with salt and decorate with minced Easter eggs or sprinkles.
Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Place in the refrigerator to speed up the chocolate hardening.
When cool, remove from pan and transfer to a cutting board. Using a non-serrated knife, divide into a 4 x 4 grid and cut 16 squares.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days and enjoy!
Rice Krispy treats set in an hour and store in an airtight container after decorating.
keyword: rice krispies, treats, chocolate, easter, sweets, easter eggs, brown butter, salt
buy new ebook