Pecan Pie – Immaculate Bites
Pecan Pie – A traditional Southern holiday dessert known as the “mother of all pies.” If you ask me, that flaky, buttery crust with custardy and crunchy pecan filling deserves the title.😜 Plus, this is his one of the easiest pies ever is.
Pecan pie is one of my favorite pies to make all year round, but I’ll admit it pops up in my kitchen more often when the holidays roll around. My friends and family clamor for this particular recipe during gathering season because it’s so delicious.
I’ve been obsessed with pecan pie since I was a kid. It’s so homely and comfortable, isn’t it? So, as an adult, I did my fair share of recipe testing before deciding on this version as the most heavenly pecan pie I could bake.
Is Pecan Pie Southern?
Bless your little heart. I’m glad I asked! Pecan pie is hugely popular in the South where it is believed to have originated. Texans usually take credit for the invention of this pie, but these days you can find it on Southern tables, especially during the holiday season. I don’t discriminate, but I love northerners too. 😜
- pie crust – A ready-made chilled pie crust works well for this pecan pie recipe, but you can definitely make one if you want to try everything. homemade crust instead.
- egg – The egg will help the filling stick together, giving it a custard-like texture.
- sugar – Take out brown sugar and granulated sugar, as this dish requires both.
- corn syrup – The corn syrup adds sweetness and contributes to the smooth texture of the pie filling.
- pecan – Layer the pecans between the pie crust and the filling. Garnish the surface of the pie with pecan nuts for a nice presentation.
- vanilla extract – Use Splash to add a touch of flavor to your pie. vanilla extract.
how to make pecan pie
Preparing the pie crust and filling
- prepare the crust – Spread the pie crust on the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2 inch overhang. Fold the overhang down and lightly press it against the rim of the pie plate before crimping it decoratively.
- Chill ・Prick the bottom lightly with a fork. Chill for at least 30 minutes (or freeze for 10 minutes) until set.
- Melt the sugar and butter – Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir quickly to mix the butter and sugar. (photo1)
- corn syrup – Next, whisk in the corn syrup and salt. (Photo 2)
- add eggs ・Put the eggs in a medium-sized bowl and whisk lightly so as not to whisk too much.
- mix – Next, whisk in the corn syrup mixture.
make pecan pie
- assemble – Place the pecan nuts on the bottom crust of the pie mold and pour the filling mixture evenly over them(Photo 3-4)
- bake About 50 minutes to 1 hour on a baking sheet. To prevent the edges from browning too quickly, cover the crust with foil or a pie crust shield for about 30 minutes. (Photo 5)
- decorate – When removing the foil or crust shield, decorative pecans can be added on top if desired.
- continue baking – When finished decorating, return the pie to the oven and continue baking for the remaining time or until the pie is set.
- cool – Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
- serve Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- make bourbon pecan pie Simply add a few tablespoons of bourbon to your filling mix. That extra kick tastes great! 😋
- Delight the chocolate lover in your life by making chocolate pecan pieJust add a cup of chocolate chips to your filling mix for a decadent treat.
tips and tricks
- If you feel a little extra, toast the pecans before adding them to the pie. 🤤
- Not sure if the pie is completely cooked for the decorative pecans on top? If the center wobbles a bit (like a Jell-O) and the edges are stable and solid, you’re done. Apart from that, the crust should be a deep golden color and the nuts and custard should be a medium dark brown.
- If you prefer, you can serve this pie warm, but let it cool for at least 2 hours so it doesn’t melt and become a mess when cutting. (I know! The hardest part about this recipe is waiting!) ⏲
You can easily make this pie 1 or 2 days in advance. Allow the pie to cool completely, as directed in the recipe. Then place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How to eat and store
Remove the pecan pie from the oven and serve warm, cool to room temperature, or chill in the refrigerator. No matter how you slice it, this pie tastes great. And don’t forget to top each slice with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.😉
Does pecan pie need to be refrigerated? It will stay there for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze pecan pie? Absolutely! After the pie has cooled completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Store in freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator the night before serving.
By the way, if you like your pecan pie slightly warm like I do, microwave the remaining slices in the fridge for about 30 seconds before topping with melty ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the pie filling is runny, it was probably underbaked. Let it sit in the oven for about an hour, but if the whole pie wobbles then wait another 10 minutes and check again. increase. Also, curing should take at least 2 hours, preferably 3-4 hours. Chilling and hardening time is very important for this pie.
You can overcook anything, including pecan pie. If the crust and pecans are charred and the filling is dry and hard, it’s overcooked. Set a kitchen timer to prevent that from happening.
Sure, maple syrup, molasses, or honey work, but there’s one caveat. Corn syrup is thicker than most other liquid sweeteners, so it can affect the texture of the filling. , to thicken.
Compatibility with pecan pie
Pecan pie is the ideal dessert after a delicious family meal.I love to serve after serve Smoked turkey spatchcock When roasted potatoes and carrots When green bean casserole.
This pie also goes great with piping hot. chai tea latteHowever, if you live in a temperate climate, homemade eggnog Also chilli palm It goes well with cool and refreshing outfits.
More Satisfying Pecan Recipes to Try
And it’s a wrap! I told you that this pie is very easy to make. Do you have a family pecan pie recipe that has been passed down for generations? Many of my friends do. What is the best variation of this Southern classic? Get in touch with me in the comments section below.
see how to make
This blog post was originally published in November 2018 and has been updated with additional tips, new photos, and videos.
A traditional Southern holiday dessert called the “mother of all pies.” If you ask me, that flaky, buttery crust with custardy and crunchy pecan filling deserves the title, plus this is his one of the easiest pies ever .
Preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 1 time
total: 1 time 20 minutes
Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
Roll out the pie crust to cover the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2 inch overhang. Fold the overhang down and lightly press it against the rim of the pie plate before crimping it decoratively.
Prick the bottom lightly with a fork. Chill for at least 30 minutes (or freeze for 10 minutes) until set.
Heat a deep frying pan over medium heat and add butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir quickly to mix the butter and sugar. Then whisk in the corn syrup and salt.
Beat the eggs lightly in a medium bowl (do not over-whisk). Then whisk in the corn syrup mixture.
Place the pecan nuts on top of the bottom dough of the pie pan and pour the corn syrup mixture evenly over the pecan nuts.
Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for a total of 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cover the pie crust with foil or puff pastry for the first 30 minutes to prevent the edges from browning too quickly. It’s also a great time to add decorative pecans, if desired. Continue baking for the remaining time or until the pie is set.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving. It may take 3-4 hours.
Serve pecan pie warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tips and notes:
- Where can I find pecan nuts? If pecans are not readily available at the farmers market, your best bet is to go to the baking section of your grocery store. , dried fruit and other baking toppings are placed. Last resort is to order online like Amazon.
- If you’re adding a decorative top, use about 1 cup of pecan halves. Add halfway through baking or as soon as it begins to set.
- Allow pie to set completely and cool for at least 2 hours before slicing.
- Please note that nutritional information is approximate and may vary significantly depending on the products used.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Serving: 1slice| | calorie: 665kcal (33%)| | carbohydrate: 65g (twenty two%)| | protein: 7g (14%)| | thick: 46g (71%)| | saturated fat: 11g (69%)| | Polyunsaturated fat: Teng| | Monounsaturated fat: twenty twog| | Trans fat: 0.5g| | cholesterol: one two threemg (41%)| | sodium: 211mg (9%)| | potassium: 231mg (7%)| | fiber: Fourg (17%)| | sugar: 60g (67%)| | Vitamin A: 514IU (Ten%)| | Vitamin C: 0.5mg (1%)| | calcium: 60mg (6%)| | iron: 2mg (11%)