Satisfy your summer cravings with this quick and easy Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. Macaroni, carrots, celery and onions tossed in a sweet and tangy mayonnaise dressing. It’s made with simple ingredients, but its refreshing flavor will keep you cool this summer.
A bowl or two of this chilled Hawaiian Macaroni Salad will keep you full and refreshed in this hot weather. Nothing extravagant. Here’s a simple recipe with basic ingredients that you can make anytime for a quick snack or side dish. Simply satisfied!
It’s like my happiness pill, especially when eating with the whole family. shrimp po boy Also grilled cheese sandwich A glass of our favorite juice for the best comfort food lunch combo. Yes Yes!
Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
The Hawaiian Mac Salad is an economical version of the regular macaroni salad, but tailored to the budgets of locals. Simple ingredients such as macaroni, mayonnaise, carrots, and onions will fill you up. This salad has become a street food staple, and you can find this Hawaiian staple on the menus of even the finest restaurants.
Enjoy a hearty and refreshing macaroni salad made with these simple and affordable ingredients.
- macaroni – You can also use other types of pasta such as shell, rotini, bowtie etc. However, using spaghetti or thin noodles in this salad is strongly discouraged. But hey! It still depends on your taste. 😉
- apple cider vinegar – This wonderful ingredient added to hot pasta absorbs the flavor of dressings better. However, if you don’t have ACV, you can use rice or white wine vinegar.
- dressing – This mayonnaise-based dressing is creamier with a touch of milk and sugar. homemade mayonnaise Even better, your favorite store-bought version will work just fine. It looks like it has a lot of milk in it, but it makes the dressing creamier.
- onion – A pungent spice with a strong taste and aroma. Complex flavors of sweet and spicy notes add a tangy flavor to this creamy salad.check out how to cut onions For stress-free events.
- celery – A pleasantly crispy vegetable that adds a nice texture to macaroni salad.
- carrot – Another crunchy vegetable that adds bright color and balance to creamy salads. So yay!
- green onion – Often used as a garnish, it adds a bold flavor to this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad.
How to make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
make salad dressing
- cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- drain Place in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple cider vinegar while the macaroni is hot. Mix gently and set aside.
- mix – In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing: mayonnaise, milk (start with 1 cup and add more if desired to achieve desired consistency), sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is well mixed. set aside. (Photo 1-2)
- add vegetables – Add onions, carrots, celery and green onions to the macaroni bowl. (Photo 3)
- Dress up – Pour the salad dressing over it and mix until evenly distributed. (Photos 4-6)
- refrigerate At least 2 hours before serving.
- eat it – shredded chicken,leftovers ham, crispy baconWhen hard boiled egg For a satisfying one-salad lunch with this salad. Oh, and we can’t forget Hawaii’s passion for spam. That would make it an absolute classic.
- cheese please – Enjoy cheesy goodness with grated cheddar or crumbled feta. Oh! Hmmm!
- tropical twist – yes! Pineapple belongs to this wonderful salad recipe. And I know you would agree too!
- go vegan – Simply replace mayonnaise and dairy with vegan mayonnaise and soy or almond milk.
perfect pasta tips
- It is better to undercook the pasta rather than overcook it. Continue steaming with residual heat to reach the perfect finale. However, if it is overcooked, it will fall apart when mixed with other ingredients. try it. Not too chewy and not too soft. 😉
- Have plenty of water in the pot so the pasta has room to rise. A good starting point is 3 quarts of water per pound of pasta.
- As soon as the water boils, don’t forget to add the salt before adding the pasta. You can add a little more pasta water if the pasta is soaking up too much dressing. It works wonders.
How to eat and store
This recipe works well with a little patience. Chill about 2 hours before serving. Alternatively, you can make it the day before to let the flavors meld completely.
Store Hawaiian Macaroni Salad in an airtight container to ensure freshness. It should last 4 days. We don’t recommend freezing them, but they should be fine for a week or two. Freezing changes the texture of pasta and usually makes raw vegetables mush.
Pro tip: Hawaiian Mac Salad tends to dry out when refrigerated. Add a little more mayonnaise and a little milk to moisten.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hawaiians are experts in creating delicious and economical meals. And these ingredients are very affordable and available for a filling and satisfying side dish that doubles as a meal.
It really depends on your taste. However, red onions are a good choice when added raw to salads. If you want to sauté first, choose white because the red turns a funky gray when cooked.
of course! Talk about a Hawaiian classic becoming an even bigger tradition. I like to fry the spam slices first and toast them a bit, then chop them up into cubes and mix them into my mac salad.
Accompaniments for Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
The traditional street food lunch menu includes BBQ ribsrice, macaroni salad, greenBut you can pair this mouthwatering Hawaiian Macaroni Salad with these mouthwatering recipes for a more full and satisfying meal.
Satisfying pasta recipes to try
Oh, and this hearty Hawaiian salad recipe is always the first thing to disappear at family gatherings. What’s your favorite unique ingredient to add to your macaroni salad recipe that you always have? Reach out and let me know.❤️
see how to make
hawaiian macaroni salad
Satisfy your summer cravings with this quick and easy Hawaiian Macaroni Salad featuring macaroni, carrots, celery and onions in a sweet and tangy mayonnaise-based dressing. The simple ingredients have a refreshing taste and will keep you cool this summer.
Preparation: Ten minutes
cooking: Ten minutes
total: 20 minutes
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple cider vinegar while the macaroni is still hot, mix gently and set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is well blended and set aside.
Add vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, leek) to the macaroni bowl.
Pour in the salad dressing and mix until the macaroni and vegetables are evenly coated.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips and notes:
- Be careful not to overcook the pasta.
- Toss freshly cooked and drained pasta with apple cider vinegar to help absorb the flavor.
- Mayo-based pasta salads only last 1-2 hours at room temperature, so remember to refrigerate leftovers as soon as you’re done eating them.
- Please note that nutritional information is approximate and may vary significantly depending on the products used.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Serving: 1cup| | calorie: 413kcal (twenty one%)| | carbohydrate: 29g (Ten%)| | protein: Fourg (8%)| | thick: 32g (49%)| | saturated fat: Fiveg (31%)| | Polyunsaturated fat: 18g| | Monounsaturated fat: 7g| | Trans fat: 0.1g| | cholesterol: twenty fivemg (8%)| | sodium: 1247mg (54%)| | potassium: 453mg (13%)| | fiber: 3g (13%)| | sugar: 16g (18%)| | Vitamin A: 11079IU (222%)| | Vitamin C: 7mg (8%)| | calcium: 122mg (12%)| | iron: 1mg (6%)