A popular Nigerian soup, a simple and easy-to-understand vegetarian efolillo, delicious and healthy.
What is EfoRiro?
Eforilo is a traditional leafy vegetable “soup” from the Yoruba people. Efo means leafy vegetables in Yoruba, and riro means to stir roughly. For outsiders, it has a sticky consistency, so I put a quote around the soup. This is true for many types of Nigerian “soups”.
Traditionally, efolillo is based on a blend of palm oil, onions and pepper (both sweet and spicy), seasoned with crayfish and carob and mixed with large amounts of efo.In Nigeria, you have access to selected leaves — also known as Efo Shoko (Lagos spinach / feathered cockscomb. Scientifically. Celosia, This belongs to the Amaranth family). It is similar in size and appearance to regular spinach and has a mild taste.
Alternatively, efo tete (also known as African spinach, or scientifically Amaranth Hybrids). These are very similar to Callaloo, a popular leafy vegetable eaten on the Caribbean islands.
Green with sauce makes a simple, healthy and delicious side dish to the starch of your choice. Check out this blog for more information. 9jafoodieWe also sell seeds for purchase.
Why everyone should eat amaranth leaves
By studying this blog, I turned my attention to the great powers of amaranth leaves. Amaranth in Western Europe is mainly known for its gluten-free grains, but less well for the vegetables consumed around the world. On the African Continent, amaranth is eaten from east to west and south and is known by various names. The leaves have a 30% increase in protein. (1) These greens contain essential amino acids such as lysine and methionine at higher levels than soybean meal. (1)
In addition, although they are advertised for iron and calcium content, there is little information on the bioavailability of these minerals to humans (especially because calcium inhibits iron absorption). (1) In addition to iron and calcium, it is known to be rich in vitamin C and vitamin A. (1)
What you need for this recipe
- Coconut oil
- Pepper mixture: I use red peppers and scotch bonnet
- Tomatoes (This is optional. As a Ghanaian, I find the sauce so tasty that it helps reduce the sweetness of the peppers. Traditionally, if you want to keep Nigeria, you don’t need tomatoes)
- Spices: Dawadawa / Il gives a real taste and aroma. Also, instead of the crayfish flavor, I added a mixture of camelloonian pepper, seaweed and mushroom powder. Check out my sit recipe for more information on this powder when it comes to my seaweed.
- Green: I used a mixture of efo shoko, efo tete and callaloo. You can use only one of these greens or you can use spinach. My vegetables were grom from seeds purchased from the 9jafoodie seed page. Jollof rice code..
- This is a vegetarian efolillo, so no meat is used. Instead, use a mixture of mushrooms, fried tofu, and konjac stomach, but with plant-based protein.
What can provide this recipe.
Eforiro goes well with a variety of carbohydrates. The meal was paired with a cassava-based swallow, Eva. Rice and boiled yam are also good options.
- 2 small tomatoes (1 finely chopped, 1 coarsely chopped)
- 2 peppers
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tomato (optional, for authentic flavor subs of sweet red peppers like peppers and Portuguese pepper)
- 2 tablespoons of red palm oil
- 1 teaspoon of Dawadawa and Cameroon pepper (can sub-cameroon pepper of paprika)
- 1 teaspoon of seaweed mushroom blend (see sit recipe for details)
- One shopping bag full of green
- 1 teaspoon more than bouillon veggie paste (choose any vegetable cube / bouillon)
- 1 block of hardened tofu, cube and fried in the air *
- 6 shiitake mushrooms *
- Konjac Tripe *
- The taste of salt and pepper
1. Fry the finely chopped onions in palm oil until tender.
2. While frying the onions, blend pepper, tomatoes (if used) and coarsely chopped onions in a blender or food processor.
3. When the onions are tender, add Dawadawa and mix for 1 minute, then add the blended mixture.Cook this mixture on medium heat for about 10 minutes
4. Add the rest of the seasoning to the pan (better than glue + mushroom powder, bouillon, cameroon pepper), mushrooms, tofu, stomach, and a little water
5. Cook everything on medium weak for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. While the sauces are being cooked, chop them roughly and then prepare your greens by pouring hot water on them. This helps to blacken the green and remove dirt. Immediately continue with cold water and then squeeze out the water. Thus, when greens are added to the pot, they do not release a lot of extra water.
7. When the sauce is thick, add the blanched vegetables.
8. Mix everything well, cover and simmer over medium to low heat for about 5 minutes. Taste the salt and adjust to your liking.
* Tofu was fried on 380F for 15 minutes.Time depends on air fryer * You can use your favorite mushrooms
Please pin the post for reference