Italian cream cake is a simple and elegant moist layer cake that can completely pamper guests. Coconut flakes and pecan nuts add a beautiful texture that perfectly complements the frosting of a generously layered cream cheese. This is one of the cakes that everyone wants seconds.
You already know that I’m a big fan of tropical flavors. This southern-style cake with coconut-injected batter was, of course, just above my alley. It takes a few steps to make it, but it’s not difficult at all. If you have the time, even a beginner bakery can nail this cake.
What is Italian for this cake? To be honest, no one knows why this cake is called an “Italian” cream cake. It’s like a southern recipe. We continue to call it Italian because it makes it sound nice and flashy. 😜
What makes Italian cream cakes so delicious?
First of all, the homemade cake dough contains buttermilk, which is the secret of a soft and moist cake. In addition, the batter is not only infused with coconut, but also contains pecan nuts, making this Italian cream cake the perfect balance between a soft bite and a satisfying crunch. With the addition of cream cheese frosting, this cake is a flavored bomb with all the right textures. 🤤
- Homemade cake batter – Butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract are standard cake dough ingredients that come together to make the perfect cake from scratch.
- Buttermilk – Use buttermilk on the cake dough instead of regular milk to keep it moist, give it a better swell and add a little extra pepper.
- Coconut flakes – This ingredient goes directly into the cake dough, adding flavor and texture. Plain or toasted pieces are great.
- pecan – These crunchy nuts add texture to the cake dough and create a beautiful interior when cutting the cake. If you’re not a pecan fan, use crushed walnuts, pistachios, or other nuts that you think are delicious.
- Cream cheese frosting – To make this perfectly sweet cake frosting, you need cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
How to make an Italian cream cake
- Cream butter – Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer at high speed for about 2-3 minutes. Add egg yolk little by little and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes. (Photos 1-3)
- Add dry ingredients – Sift flour, salt and baking soda into butter and add buttermilk and vanilla extract. Stir well until everything is completely combined. Scrape off the sides of the mixing bowl. (Photo 4-5)
- Whisk egg whites – Beat the egg whites to a soft peak and gently fold them into a batter using a spatula. (Photo 6-8)
- Coconut and pecan nuts – Next, add coconut flakes and chopped pecan nuts and keep folding for about 30 seconds. (Photo 9-10)
- Ready to pour – Pour the batter into 3 equal parts of a greased cake pan. Tap the frying pan on the work surface to remove large bubbles. (Photo 11)
- bake 30-35 minutes at 325 ℉ / 163 ° C or until the centrally inserted tester is clean. Transfer the cooked cake to a wire rack and let it cool. (Photo 12)
Cream cheese frosting
- Whip it – Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla with a whisk until creamy. You can use a mixer for this step if you wish. (photo1)
- Add powdered sugar – Gradually sift the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. (Photo 2-3)
- pecan – Finally, stir the pecan nuts (if needed).
- Layers 1 and 2 – Place one cake layer on the serving platter. Spread about 1½ cups of cream cheese frosting on top of the cake layer. Place the second layer on top and frost further on top of that cake layer. (Photo 4)
- Final layer – Finally, add a third cake layer and spread the rest of the frosting over it.
- decorate – Pipe the frosting around the top and bottom of the cake to make it even more elaborate. Decorate the top and sides of the cake with crushed pecan nuts.
- If desired, this recipe can be a sheet cake recipe. Bake in a 13 x 9 inch pan to frost only the top. Note that you may need to make it a little longer to bake in the oven. If you’re in a hurry, it’s a great way to reduce the time it takes to assemble and decorate your cake. ⏰
- If you want to try out the underlying flavors of this cake (and maybe a little more “Italian”), replace vanilla with almond extract or amaretto. It’s a subtle difference, but it’s delicious!
Tips and tricks
- If you want to layer frosting as shown in the picture, double the frosting recipe. 😉
- While the egg white is cold, separate the egg white from the yolk, bring the egg white to room temperature, and then beat it. When the whisk is turned upside down, it has a soft peak, and after a few seconds the white is retained and begins to fold.
- Before starting the frosting of the first layer, tap 2 tablespoons of frosting on the cake stand. It will help the first cake sit still while you freeze it.
- Be sure to allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. Otherwise, there will be melting confusion in your hands (and the entire kitchen counter).
This cake can be made the day before it is served. No problem. Simply place in a closed container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Offering and storage procedures
Cut Italian cream cake into generous slices, chill or serve at room temperature. Either way, it’s delicious.
This cake contains cream cheese frosting and many other milk ingredients, so it is recommended to keep it in the refrigerator. Lasts for 5 days in a closed container. You can also freeze this cake for 3 months.
However, if you like cakes at room temperature, you can put them in a container with a lid and store them on the countertop. But you can only eat it for a day or two, so be prepared to devour a lot of cakes! 😆
Frequently Asked Questions
The acidity of buttermilk activates baking soda more than regular milk. If you don’t have buttermilk, sour cream is sufficient. Alternatively, you can add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to a regular cup of milk.My list Sour cream alternative It can also be used for buttermilk submarines.
Want to toast coconut flakes? Or your pecan nuts, about that? Hmm !!! No problem! Spread the flakes or pecan nuts in a shallow baking pan and bake in the oven at 350 ° F / 177 ° C for 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can toast it in a frying pan over low heat until it is slightly browned with occasional stirring. Allow them to cool before using them to decorate the cake.
absolutely! If you don’t mind cream cheese, you can use vanilla butter cream or chocolate frosting instead.
What to offer with Italian cream cake
Italian cream cake Pumpkin spice latte or Chai tea latte.. The warm taste goes very well with the pecan and coconut elements of this cake.
To this cake Homemade caramel Drizzle. However, if you want to go another mile, add a homemade scoop to each slice. Rum raisin pineapple ice cream.. 👌
More decadent cake recipes to try
- Strawberry pork cake
- Black forest cake
- Passion fruit pudding cake
- Buttermilk pound cake
- Carrot pineapple cake
- Chocolate mayonnaise cake
This obediently delicious cake is perfect for your next family event or special occasion. Are you hungry for more soul food desserts? Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date. ❤️
See how to make
This blog post was originally published in November 2017 and has been updated with additional tips, new photos, and videos.
Italian cream cake
A simple, elegant and moist layer cake that will make guests feel completely spoiled. Coconut flakes and pecan nuts add a beautiful texture that perfectly complements the frosting of a generously layered cream cheese. This is one of the cakes that everyone wants seconds.
Preparation: Ten Minutes
cooking: 45 45 Minutes
total: 55 55 Minutes
To the south
Preheat the oven to 325 ° F / 160 ° C. Grease a 3 x 9 inch pan with a cooking spray and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer at high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add egg yolk little by little and continue mixing for another 2-3 minutes.
Stir the eggs one at a time and beat the mixture well between each addition. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into the vanilla and add the milk and vanilla essence.
Stir well until everything is completely combined. Scrape off the sides of the mixing bowl.
Use a spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Continue to coconut flakes and chopped pecan nuts and continue to fold for about 30 seconds.
Divide the batter between the greased cake pans into three equal parts. Tap the frying pan on the work surface to remove large bubbles.
Bake at 325℉ / 163 ° C until the center-inserted tester is clean – about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
Cream cheese frosting
Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla with a whisk until creamy. You can use the mixer if you want.
Sift the powdered sugar little by little and mix until smooth.
Finally, stir the pecan nuts.
Assemble the cake
Place a layer of cake on the serving platter. Spread about 1½ cups of cream cheese frosting on the first cake layer. Place the second layer on top and frost further on top of the second cake layer.
Place the remaining cake layer on top. Then spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with pecan nuts.
If necessary, decorate the sides with crushed pecan nuts or pipe more frosting with a cool design.
Nutritional composition table:
Serving: 100g| calorie: 415kcal (twenty one%)| carbohydrate: 48g (16%)| protein: Fiveg (Ten%)| thick: 28 28g (43%)| cholesterol: 90mg mg (30%)| sodium: 210 210mg mg (9%)| potassium: 108mg mg (3%)| fiber: 1g (Four%)| sugar: 34g (38%)